Symptoms of a sore throat
Sore throats are very common, and are a symptom of many different conditions. You may experience a sore throat if you have:
- Hay fever and other allergies
Usually, a sore throat will get better within a week and usually isn’t anything to worry about. However, you should seek medical advice if:
- You get repeated sore throats
- It doesn’t get better after a week
- You have a very high temperature
- You feel shivery
- You have a compromised immune system
There is a lot you can do to help a sore throat even without medicine.
Soothing a sore throat
To treat a mild sore throat, there are several things you can try before you see your GP or even try any medication.
- Gargle with warm, salty water
- Eat cool and soft foods
- Suck ice cubes
- Avoid smoky areas
- Drink water
- Get plenty of rest
You should avoid smoking if you have a sore throat, as this can worsen symptoms. In fact, a sore throat may be a sign you should cut down, or attempt to quit by using nicotine replacement therapy.
Medicines for sore throats
At Rightdose, we supply everything you need to treat most sore throats. There is a range of medicines that help to soothe sore throats. You can:
- Take paracetamol. This will also help reduce a fever
- Take ibuprofen. This will reduce any swelling in the throat
- Suck throat lozenges
- Use an anaesthetic throat spray
These can all be delivered direct to your door.
Rightdose - your personalised pharmacy, delivered.