- FREE Delivery on Orders Over £25
- Order by 2pm for Next Day Delivery
- UK Registered Pharmacy: 9011378
Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray (200 Doses)
- Used to treat inflammation in the lining of your nose - rhinitis
- Effective hayfever relief - contains steroid
- Relieves itching, sneezing and your blocked or runny nose
- Reduces swelling and irritation in your nose
- 200 metered sprays
Hay Fever Doctor Service
Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray (called ‘Beconase’ in this leaflet) contains a medicine called beclometasone dipropionate. This belongs to a group of medicines called steroids (also called ‘cortico-steroids’).
Beconase Contains 50 Micrograms Of A Corticosteroid Called Beclometasone. Beclometasone helps relieve symptoms of itchiness and stuffiness in your nose by reducing inflammation. Beconase is suitable for adults & children aged 6 & over.
Beconase Helps To Treat:
- Inflammation in the lining of your nose (rhinitis) due to seasonal allergies, such as hay fever.
- To relieve itching, sneezing and your blocked or runny nose.
- Works by reducing inflammation.
- Reduce swelling and irritation in your nose.
Beconase Is Used To Prevent & Treat:
- Inflammation in the lining of your nose (rhinitis) due to year round (perennial) allergies, such as animal allergies.
You can order Beconase spray online from our UK registered online pharmacy and doctor service. To see if you are suitable for this treatment, complete the online assessment and checkout. Our UK registered doctors will review the order and after approval pass the prescription to the Pharmacy team. We will then dispense and dispatch your order to your chosen address.
Beconase is a widely used and effective rhinitis treatment however every patient can respond differently to medication. If you find that beconase is not effective for you, you may want to try dymista or another alternative treatment.
Other treatments for hayfever and allergies are available at Rightdose. These include:
- Dymista Nasal Spray
- Pirinase hayfever Nasal Spray
- Rhinolast Nasal Spray
- Avamys Nasal Spray
A good self care guide and information for hay fever is available on the NHS website.
NHS - Hay fever
Hay fever is usually worse between late March and September, especially when it's warm, humid and windy.
What Can You Do To Ease Your Symptoms When The Pollen Count Is High?
- Keep windows and doors shut as much as possible
- Wear wraparound sunglasses to stop pollen getting into your eyes
- Stay indoors whenever possible
- Put Vaseline around your nostrils to trap pollen
- Shower and change your clothes after you have been outside to wash pollen off
- Vacuum regularly and dust with a damp cloth
- Buy a pollen filter for the air vents in your car and a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter
How Long Does Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray Take To Work?
Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray can take a couple of days to experience relief of symptoms but you need to persevere and continue using the spray for full therapeutic benefit. In some individuals, it can take up to 14 days to feel the maximum benefit of this medication.
Is Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray Prescription Only?
Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray is prescription only however there are other Beconase nasal sprays that are available in smaller dose sizes. Beconase nasal spray 100 doses is a pharmacy item. Beconase nasal spray 100 doses is a general sales list item and can be purchased without an assessment form.
Can I Use Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray With Antihistamines?
Yes. Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray can be used alongside oral antihistamines.
Is Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray A Steroid?
Yes. Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray contains the corticosteroid (steroid) Beclometasone dipropionate. Therefore this nasal spray should not be used for more than 3 months.
What Is Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray Used For?
Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray is effective in providing relief with symptoms that are mostly present with hayfever and allergies including:
- Nasal congestion
- Sinus issues
- Watery eyes
- Runny nose
- Itchy nose
- Itchy eyes
- Red eyes
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The following side effects may happen with this medicine:
Allergic reactions: get a doctor’s help straight away. A small number of people get allergic reactions to Beconase, which can develop into a more serious,even life-threatening problem if not treated.
- becoming very wheezy or having difficulty with breathing
- swelling around the face or throat. If this happens, tell your doctor straight away – you may need urgent medical treatment.
Immediately after you use your spray:
- You may sneeze a little, but this soon stops.
- Very occasionally you may find you get an unpleasant taste or smell.
Tell your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of the following side effects:
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
A dry or painful nose or throat.
Bad nose bleeds.
Mild allergic reactions including skin rashes or redness, itching or weals like nettle rash or hives.
Very rare (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people)
- Damage to your nose
- Cloudy lens in the eye (cataract)
- Increased pressure in the eye (glaucoma)
Very rarely, the normal production of steroids in your body may be affected. This is more likely to happen if you use high doses for a long time. Your doctor will help stop this happening by making sure you use the lowest dose of steroid which controls your symptoms.
In children this side effect can rarely cause them to grow more slowly than others. Children who receive this treatment for a long period of time will have their height checked regularly by their doctor.
Not Known: frequency cannot be estimated from the available data
- Blurred vision
For a full list of side effects, please read the Patient Information Leaflet.
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, our Rightdose pharmacists or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet.
You can help to make medicines safer by reporting any side-effects to the Yellow Card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
Before taking any medication, it is important to read the Patient Information Leaflet. You can find information leaflets for your medicines by typing them into the search bar at medicines.org, or by contacting us.
Patient Information Leaflet Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray
Beconase and other medication
If you are taking any other medication, this includes medicines obtained without a prescription and any herbal medication, you should always tell your doctor or pharmacist before starting any new medication.
There are certain medications that may increase the effects of Beconase and if you take these your doctor will monitor you (including certain medicines for HIV: ritonavir, cobicistat).
Check with your doctor or pharmacist before using your medicine if you have:
- Been using steroids for a long time (including the injection or orally)
- Ever had an operation on your nose
- An infection in your nose
If you are unsure if any of the medication you have taken is safe to do so with Beconase then speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Beconase with food and drink
You can use Beconase at any time of day, with or without food.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine.
Driving and using machines
Beconase is not likely to affect you being able to drive or use any tools or machines.
Beconase contains 0.02 mg benzalkonium chloride in each spray.
Benzalkonium chloride may cause irritation or swelling inside the nose, especially if used for a long time. Benzalkonium chloride may cause wheezing and breathing difficulties (bronchospasm), especially if you have asthma.
How to store Beconase
- Protect from frost and light.
- Do not store above 30°C (86°F).
Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the label and carton after ‘EXP’. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- Stop using this bottle three months after you first opened it.
- If you are told to stop taking this medicine return, any unused spray to your pharmacist to be destroyed. Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to throw away medicines you no longer use. These measures will help protect the environment
Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
How to use Beconase nasal spray
Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
When to use Avamys
- Adults should use two sprays into each nostril twice daily to control symptoms.
- You should not use more than a maximum of 8 sprays in a 24 hour period.
Do not use it in children under 6 years old.
It takes a few days for this medicine to work. So keep using it, even though you may not feel better straight away.
You should use the spray every day.
How much to use - adults and children (aged 6 and over)
- The usual starting dose is 2 sprays into each nostril twice a day. The most you would use in over 24 hours is normally 8 sprays (4 sprays per nostril).
- As you become better, your doctor may ask you to use a lower dose - one spray into each nostril twice a day.
- If your symptoms then get worse, your dose may be increased back to the starting dose
- Do not use a larger dose or use your nasal spray more often than your doctor tells you.
If you use high doses of Beconase
There are times when your doctor may need to adjust the dose of the steroid you are given or the way in which you take it. These times are:
- times of extreme stress
- during admission to hospital after a serious accident, injury or illness
- before and after a surgical operation.If you think that any of these apply to you whilst using Beconase, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Preparing your spray: Each spray has a dust cap which protects the nozzle and keeps it clean. Remember to take this off before using the spray. A new spray (or one that has not been used for a few days), may not work the first time. You need to ‘prime’ the spray by pumping the spray a few times until a fine mist is produced.
- Hold the bottle as shown and make sure it is pointed away from you
- Put your forefinger and middle finger on the collar either side of the nozzle and put your thumb underneath the bottle
- Keep your thumb still, and press down with your fingers to pump the spray.
If the spray does not work and you think it may be blocked, you will need to clean it.
Never try to unblock or enlarge the tiny spray hole with a pin or other sharp object. This will damage the way the spray works.
- Shake the bottle and take off the dust cap.
- Blow your nose gently.
- Close one nostril with your finger as shown, and put the nozzle in the other nostril. Tilt your head forward slightly and keep the bottle upright.
- Start to breathe in slowly through your nose. While you are breathing in, press down firmly on the collar with your fingers. A spray of fine mist will go into your nostril.
- Breathe out through your mouth.
- Repeat step 4 to use a second spray in the same nostril.
- Remove the nozzle from this nostril and breathe out through your mouth.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 for your other nostril.
- After using your spray, wipe the nozzle carefully with a clean tissue or handkerchief, and replace the dust cap.
Cleaning your spray: Clean your spray at least once a week, or more often if it gets blocked.
- Take the dust cap off.
- Pull upwards on the white collar to remove the nozzle.
- Soak the nozzle and dust cap in warm water for a few minutes.
- Then rinse under a running tap.
- Shake off the excess water and let them dry in a warm place.
- Put the nozzle back on the spray.
- ‘Prime’ the bottle as described in the section above.
If you forget to use Beconase If you miss a dose, just use the next dose when it is due.
If you use more Beconase than you should
It is important that you take your dose as stated on the pharmacist’s label or as advised by your doctor. You should use only as much as your doctor recommends; using more or less may make your symptoms worse.
If you stop taking Beconase
Do not stop treatment even if you feel better, unless your doctor tells you to stop. If you do stop, the symptoms may come back.
If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Do not use Beconase if:
you are allergic to beclometasone dipropionate or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
Contact your doctor if you experience blurred vision or other visual disturbances.
Other medicines and Beconase
Please tell your doctor if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription. This includes herbal medicines. Some medicines may increase the effects of Beconase and your doctor may wish to monitor you carefully if you are taking these medicines (including some medicines for HIV: ritonavir, cobicistat).
Check with your doctor or pharmacist before using your medicine if:
- you have had steroids for a long time, either as an injection or by your mouth.
- you have ever had an operation on your nose
- you have an infection in your nose.
If you are unsure if the above apply to you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Beconase.
Warnings and precautions
Beconase nasal spray should NOT be used if you:
- Are allergic to Beclometasone dipropionate or any of the other ingredients of this Beconase nasal spray.
Beconase contains benzalkonium chloride which may cause problems with your breathing (bronchospasm).
- If you experience blurred vision or other visual disturbances, contact your doctor.
What Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray contains
The active substance is beclometasone dipropionate.
The other ingredients are microcrystalline cellulose, sodium carboxymethylcellulose, dextrose, polysorbate 80, purified water and the preservatives benzalkonium chloride and phenyl ethyl alcohol. These other ingredients are needed to make a stable suspension which will not go off.
What Beconase Aqueous Nasal Spray looks like and contents of the pack
Each bottle delivers 200 sprays. Each spray contains 50 micrograms of beclometasone dipropionate.
Order within for guaranteed next day delivery options