Nytol Liquid Caramel Flavour 10mg/5ml Oral Solution 300ml
- Increases depth and quality of sleep
- Clinically proven to aid sleep
- Contains diphenhydramine
Why choose Nytol Liquid Caramel Flavour as your preferred sleeping aid?
If you have been experiencing difficulty sleeping or staying asleep at night, Nytol Liquid Caramel Flavour can help you get back on track. Diphenhydramine is an ingredient to alleviate temporary sleeplessness. If you don’t like taking tablets, Nytol Liquid Caramel flavour is an easy to swallow alternative.
How does Nytol Liquid Caramel Flavour work?
Nytol Liquid Caramel Flavour contains a commonly used antihistamine called diphenhydramine hydrochloride (trust us, it’s easier to use than to say!). It works by reducing sleep onset (ie, time to fall asleep) and increasing the depth and quality of sleep.
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
If any of the following occur STOP TAKING THIS MEDICINE IMMEDIATELY and contact your doctor, as
these may be signs of an allergic reaction:
• Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, swelling of the face, mouth or throat
• Rash, hive (itchy, raised red weals).
If you notice any of the following effects tell your doctor straight away:
• Faster heartbeat, irregular heartbeat
• Fits, difficulty making or controlling movements.
Tell your doctor, pharmacist or nurse if you suffer from any of the following side effects:
Common side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10 people):
• Sedation, drowsiness, dizziness, unsteadiness, disturbance, inattention
• Dry mouth
Other side effects (frequency not known – cannot be estimated from the data available):
• Palpitations (feeling your heartbeat)
• Headache, tingling or numbness (pins and needles)
• Depression, sleep disturbances
• Confusion, excitation e.g. increased energy, restlessness, nervousness (the elderly are more likely to experience these effects)
• Difficulty urinating or inability to pass urine
• Thicker bronchial mucus
• Blurred vision
• Feeling or being sick, stomach problems
• Muscle twitching
• Reduced sense of touch.
Reporting of side effects
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor or pharmacist or nurse. This includes any possible side
effects not listed in this leaflet. You can also report side effects directly via the Yellow Card Scheme at
www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow Card in Google Play or Apple App store. By
reporting side effects you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
Before taking any medication, it is important to read the Patient Information Leaflet. You can find information leaflets for your medicines by typing them into the search bar at medicines.org, or by contacting us.
Always use this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist has told
you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
The recommended dose is:
10 to 25ml to be taken at bedtime or after retiring when sleep is not readily achieved.
Do not take a repeat dose in the same night.
Not recommended as a sleep aid in children under 16 years of age.
If you take more Nytol Liquid Caramel Flavour 10mg/5ml oral solution than you should:
Seek medical attention as soon as possible. When seeking medical advice you should, if possible, take
the medicine and this leaflet with you provided it doesn’t cause a delay. If you have any further
questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist
Do not use this medicine:
• if you are allergic to diphenhydramine hydrochloride or any of the ingredients listed
• if you have a peptic ulcer
• if you have a blockage between your stomach and small intestine.
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine:
• if you suffer from myasthenia gravis (abnormal muscle function)
• if you suffer from seizures or have epilepsy
• if you suffer from asthma, bronchitis or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
• if you have narrow-angle glaucoma
• if you have an enlarged prostate
• if you have difficulty urinating
• if you have moderate to severe liver or kidney problems
• if you are elderly, particularly if you also suffer from confusion.
Do not use to sedate a child.
This medicine is for short term use. It may not work as well if you use it continuously. If your
symptoms persist, see your doctor for advice.
Other medicines and Nytol Liquid Caramel Flavour 10mg/5ml oral solution:
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other
• Other antihistamines including those used on your skin and in cough and cold medicines
• Tranquilisers or anxiolytics (sedatives) used to treat anxiety e.g. diazepam
• Hypnotics (e.g. nitrazepam) used to help you sleep better
• Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) for depression (e.g. phenelzine) or if you have
stopped taking an MAOI within the last two weeks.
• Metoprolol (a beta blocker) used to treat high blood pressure, angina, irregular heart beat or
• Venlafaxine used to treat depression
• Anticholinergics which relax smooth muscle and are used for example in Parkinson’s disease,
irritable bowel syndrome and incontinence e.g. procyclidine, trihexyphenidyl, atropine,
• Tricyclic antidepressants (e.g. imipramine, amitriptyline).
Nytol Liquid Caramel Flavour 10mg/5ml oral solution with alcohol:
While taking this medicine avoid alcoholic drink.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Driving and using machines
This medicine causes drowsiness and sedation and may also cause dizziness, blurred vision,
disturbance in attention and slower reaction times. Do not drive or operate machinery while you are
affected in this way.
The active substance is diphenhydramine hydrochloride, 10mg in 5ml. The other ingredients are:
purified water, sucrose, sodium saccharin, propylene glycol, glycerin, parahydroxybenzoates (methyl
E218, ethyl E214, propyl E216 & butyl), caramel flavouring, colouring (caramel E150)
Order on Monday to Friday until 2:00pm guarantees next day delivery options