Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream 15g
- Thin application twice daily
- Anti-Fungal and Steroid Agents
- For Athletes Foot / Sweat Rash
- No more than 7 days use
NOTE: After selecting this product, you will need to complete a short assessment, so we can make sure this medication is suitable for you.
About Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream
Canesten hydrocortisone cream is a cream containing a steroid (hydrocortisone)and antifungal agent (clotrimazole). It is commonly used in the treatment of
- athletes foot
- fungal sweat rashes
Clotrimazole kills off fungi and yeasts which cause these conditions. It does this by interfering with their cell membranes. this leads to the cells collapse and death. Clotrimazole belongs to a group of medicines known as imidazoles, which are commonly used first-line treatments.
Hydrocortisone reduces skin inflammation. It does this by interrupting the pathways of inflammation responses of the cells. These inflammation causing pathways produce chemicals such as prostaglandins and various other inflammatory substances. These chemicals, amongst other things, cause blood vessels to widen and results in the affected area of skin becoming red, swollen and itchy. as hydrocortisone prevents these inflammatory chemicals from being released, this inflammatory response is interrupted.
Canesten hydrocortisone cream should not be used for longer than 7 days without speaking to your doctor.
About Athlete’s Foot
Athlete’s foot (medically termed as tinea pedis), is the most common fungal skin infection. Symptoms initially present with scaling and itching on only one foot (mainly seen between the 4th and 5th toe, and the skin can become macerated and soggy). This may spread to the other toes (however it rarely affects the area between the big and 2nd toe). The soles of the feet may become scaly and dry.
Athlete’s foot is common in adults (it is rarely seen in children) and it is commonly caused by contact with fungal spores which are found on floor surfaces in public places such as swimming pools and changing rooms.
Creams are the best preparation for damp areas for example between the toes and ointments are mainly used for where the infected skin area is dry.
- good foot hygiene (washing and drying daily thoroughly, in particular in between the toes).
- wearing open, non-occlusive shoes and changing shoes and socks every 2-3 days will help prevent recurrence of athlete's foot.
- wear protective footwear (flip flops or plastic shoes) in public shower rooms or changing areas.
- try not to scratch the affected area as this could potentially spread the infection to other areas on your body.
Canesten hydrocortisone cream is a widely used and effective antifungal treatment however every patient can respond differently to medication. if you find canesten hydrocortisone cream is not effective for you, you may want to try daktarin cream 2%.
Other treatments for fungal skin conditions are available at Rightdose. These include:
- daktarin cream 2%
- daktarin aktiv spray powder
- canesten dual action cream
- daktarin gold cream
- mycota cream
What is Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream?
Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream is a cream commonly used in the treatment of sweat rash and athlete’s foot.
What are the ingredients of Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream?
The active ingredients contained in Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream are clotrimazole and hydrocortisone.
How does Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream work?
Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream works in two ways. Clotrimazole works by killing off the fungi which are causing the skin irritation. The steroid helps control and reduce inflammation and itchiness.
How do I use Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream?
Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream should be applied thinly to the affected area twice daily.
Can Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream be used for thrush?
No. Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream cannot be used on the anal or genital areas as it contains the active ingredient Hydrocortisone. There are other Canesten Thrush products available on our website.
While not everyone will experience side effects using Canesten Hydrocortisone cream, it is always important to be aware of possible side effects of any treatment. Common side effects associated with using this cream are;
- Stinging or Burning
- Pain & Discomfort
- Peeling & Effloation of the skin
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Before taking any medication, it is important to read the Patient Information Leaflet. You can find information leaflets for your medicines by typing them into the search bar at medicines.org, or by contacting us.
- Apply a thin, even layer of the cream to the affected area twice a day, gently rubbing in.
- Ensure you wash your hands before and after use (as this product contains the steroid hydrocortisone). If this cream is being used for athlete’s foot: Before using the cream, ensure the feet are washed and dried properly (paying close attention to the areas between the toes).
- The use of the cream should not exceed 7 days of treatment. (seek medical advice from your doctor if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they continue)
Do NOT use Canesten Hydrocortisone Cream if you are :
- Pregnant or Breastfeeding
- Diabetic and have not spoken to your doctor/podiatrist
- Immunocompromised and have not spoken to
- Allergic to any of the ingredients in the cream
- Suffering from a viral infection such as Cold sores, Chicken Pox, Shingles
- Under 10 years old
- Intending to use the cream on the face
- Intending to use the cream on the anogenital region
- Using on broken skin
Hydrocortisone should only be used for a maximum of 7 days, and if the symptoms do not improve or become worse then medical advice should be sought from their doctor.
It is recommended that you read the enclosed patient information leaflet with the medication, before starting to use this medication.
Active Ingredients: 1% of clotrimazole, 1% of hydrocortisone
Other Ingredients: purified water, benzyl alcohol, cetostearyl alcohol, medium chain triglycerides, triceteareth-4-phosphate
Order on Monday to Friday until 2:00pm guarantees next day delivery options