- FREE Delivery on Orders Over £25
- Order by 2pm for Next Day Delivery
- UK Registered Pharmacy: 9011378
Ovex Suspension Banana Flavour 30ml
- Used to treat threadworm infections of the gut
- Suitable for most adults and children aged over 2 years
- Family pack for 6 single-dose treatment
- Banana Flavour
- Ovex tablet available
Ovex Suspension Banana Flavour 30ml
Ovex Suspension is a medicine, which is used to treat threadworm (sometimes known as pinworm) infections of the gut. The medicine contains mebendazole, which is one of a group of medicines called ‘anthelmintics’.
This medicine is suitable for most adults and children aged over 2 years. If your are in any doubt, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
A single dose of this medicine will kill threadworms. However, it may not destroy their eggs, which can cause re-infection and infect other people. It is therefore strongly recommended that all members of the family (except pregnant and breastfeeding women and children under two) are treated at the same time and that precautions are taken to prevent re-infection.
For further information see the enclosed leaflet.
For more advice, please visit us on Instagram @rightdose_uk.
What are threadworm?
Threadworms (Enterovius vermicularis) are tiny white parasitic worms that live in the bowel. They are approximately half an inch long and resemble threads of white cotton - hence the name threadworms.
How common are threadworms?
Threadworms are extremely common, especially in childre. It is estimatedthat up to 40% of children under ten years in the UK may be affected at any one time. Once a child has threadworms, it is very easy for the rest of the family to get them.
How they spread?
Threadworms spread by producing large numbers of tiny eggs. These eggs are so small that they cannot be seen with naked eye. When swallod, the eggs pass into the bowel where they hatch into worms. When mature,m the female threadworm lays her eggs at night around the anal area, which causess an "ithcy bottom". The resulting irritation can cause intense scrathcing, which may lead further infections if the skin becomes sore or broken. Scratching allows transfer of the eggs to the fingers and nails. Eggs can be easily transferred to the mouth by finger sucking or nail biting, causing re-infection and spread to other members of the family by direct contact or via food, towels and bed linen, etc.
Threadworm eggs present in house dust, they stick in clothing, carpets, towels and bed linen.
Like all medicines, Ovex can cause side-effects, although not everybody gets them.
If you experience any of the following, stop using the medicine and seek immediate medical help:
Rare: (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
- Convulsions (seizures/fits).
- Allergic reactions including unexplained wheezing, shortness of breath, sudden swelling of your face or throat, and hives (also known as ‘nettle rash’ or ‘urticaria’).
- Skin rashes (which may be severe and include blistering or peeling of the skin) and itching, and may be accompanied by a high temperature.
If you experience any of the following, stop using the medicine and talk to your doctor or pharmacist:
Common: (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
- Stomach pain
Uncommon: (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)
- Stomach discomfort
Other effects that may occur include: Rare: (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
- Inflammation of the liver or abnormal liver function
- Reduction in white blood cells (which reduces the body’s defences against infections)
- Unusual hair loss
Very rare: (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people)
- Inflammation of the kidneys*
*observed in higher and prolonged doses
- Do not use it, if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, our Rightdose pharmacists or nurse. This includes any possible side effects not listed in this leaflet.
You can help to make medicines safer by reporting any side-effects to the Yellow Card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
Before taking any medication, it is important to read the Patient Information Leaflet. You can find information leaflets for your medicines by typing them into the search bar at medicines.org, or by contacting us.
Shake well before use. For oral use only.
- This medicine is a single-dose 5ml suspension. Do not take more than the stated dose shown below.
- Always supervise a child if they are taking this medicine. This medicine is not recommended for children aged under 2 years old. Adults and children aged 2 years and over. Take one dose per family member.
- If symptoms do not disappear within a few days, speak to your doctor.
- Take one 5ml dose only. The suspension can be dispensed in the measuring cup provided.
In case of re-infection, a second dose can be taken after two weeks.
If anyone takes more than one Ovex, contact a doctor or your nearest Accident & Emergency department Casualty) taking this leaflet and pack with you as soon as possible.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist:
If you are taking any other medicines, including:
- Metronidazole (a drug used to treat bacterial and protozoan infections) as a serious skin reaction can rarely occur.
- Cimetidine (a medicine used to treat excess stomach acidity).
If you are not sure about any of the medicines you are taking, show the bottle or the pack to your pharmacist.
If any of the bullet points apply to you now or in the past, talk to a doctor or pharmacist.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before
taking this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
Special warnings about this medicine
Since threadworms can spread very easily, it is strongly recommended that all the family (except pregnant, breastfeeding women or children under 2) are treated at the same time and that suitable hygiene precautions are followed to prevent re-infection.
Some of the ingredients can cause problems
Orange Yellow S (E110) may cause allergic reactions
The active ingredient in Ovex is: Each 5ml suspension contains in 100mg Mebendazole.
Other ingredients are: microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycollate, talc, maize starch, sodium saccharin, magnesium stearate, cottonseed oil – hydrogenated, orange flavour, colloidal anhydrous silica, sodium lauryl sulfate, orange-yellow s (e110).
Order on Monday to Friday until 2:00pm guarantees next day delivery options