Dulcolax Laxative Tablets (Pack of 20)
- Product featuresGastro Resistant Tablets
- Effective constipation relief
- Dulcolax Pico Liquid for £6.39
NOTE: After selecting this product, you will need to complete a short assessment, so we can make sure this medication is suitable for you.
Buy Dulcolax Laxative Tablets Online
Dulcolax tablets are used for the short-term relief from occasional constipation by stimulating the muscles of the bowel. The active ingredient is bisacodyl which belongs to a group of medicines called laxatives. These tablets are often used in a hospital to empty a person’s bowel before childbirth, surgery or radiological investigations. Dulcolax tablets are gastro-resistant tablets which means that they work only where it is needed.
This medicine does not help with weight loss.
What is constipation?
normal and regular bowel movement is important for most people. however, what is “normal and regular” varies from person to person. some may have a bowel movement every day, others less often. whatever it is like for you, it is best that your bowel movement has a regular pattern:
- constipation is an occasional problem for some people. for others, it may happen more often
- it happens when the normal muscle actions in the bowel (large intestine) slow down. this can mean that material is not easily eliminated from the body
The cause of constipation is often not known. It can be associated with:
- sudden change of diet
- a diet with not enough fiber
- loss of ‘tone’ of the bowel muscles in older people
- medicines such as morphine or codeine
- having to stay in bed for a long time
- lack of exercise
Whatever the cause, constipation can be uncomfortable. It may make you feel bloated and heavy or generally “off colour”. Sometimes it causes headaches.
These healthy tips are recommended to try to prevent constipation from happening:
- eat a balanced diet including fresh fruit and vegetables
- drink enough water so that you do not become dehydrated
- keep up your exercise and stay fit
- make time to empty your bowels when your body tells you
Like all medicines, Dulcolax tablets can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. The following side effects may happen with this medicine:
Rare side effects (affect less than 1 in 1000 people)
- Severe allergic reactions which may cause swelling of the face or throat and difficulty in breathing or dizziness. If you have a severe allergic reaction, stop taking this medicine and see a doctor straight away.
- Colitis (inflammation of the large intestine which causes abdominal pain and diarrhoea)
- Allergic reactions which may cause a skin rash
Uncommon side effects (affect less than 1 in 100 people)
- Blood in the stools
- Abdominal discomfort
- Discomfort inside and around the back passage
Common side effects (affect less than 1 in 10 people)
- Abdominal cramps or pain
Before taking any medication, it is important to read the Patient Information Leaflet. You can find information leaflets for your medicines by typing them into the search bar at medicines.org, or by contacting us.
- Swallow the tablets whole with water
- Milk, antacids or proton pump inhibitors (medicines which reduce stomach acid) should not be taken within one hour before or after taking Dulcolax tablets. This is because they will stop the tablets from working properly.
Adults and children over 10 years
- Take one or two tablets (5 or 10 mg) daily before bedtime
- If you have not taken Dulcolax tablets before, start with one tablet and increase to two if necessary
- When your bowel regularity has returned to normal, the dose can usually be stopped
Children aged between 4 and 10 years
Dulcolax tablets should only be given to children between the ages of 4 and 10 if recommended by a doctor. The usual dose for children is:
- One tablet (5 mg) daily before bedtime
Children under 4 years
Dulcolax tablets are not recommended for children under 4 years.
Do not take Dulcolax tablets if:
- You are allergic (hypersensitive) to bisacodyl or any of the other ingredients in the product
- You are intolerant to or cannot digest some sugars (as the tablet contains a small amount of lactose and sucrose)
- You have severe dehydration
- You have a bowel condition called “ileus” (blockage in the intestine)
- You have a serious abdominal condition such as appendicitis
- You have severe abdominal pain with nausea and vomiting
- You have a blocked bowel (intestinal obstruction)
- You have inflammation of the bowel (small or large intestine)
As with all laxatives, Dulcolax tablets should not be taken every day for more than five days. If you need laxatives every day, or if you have abdominal pain which does not go away, you should see your doctor.
Each tablet contains 5 mg of bisacodyl as the active ingredient
The other ingredients are: lactose monohydrate, maize starch, sucrose (approximately 21 mg per tablet), glycerol, magnesium stearate, talc (e553b), acacia (powdered), white beeswax (e901), shellac (e904), carnauba wax (e903), titanium dioxide (e171), yellow iron oxide (e172), methacrylic acid-methyl methacrylate copolymer, castor oil and macrogol 6000
Order on Monday to Friday until 2:00pm guarantees next day delivery options