Dulcolax Laxative Suppositories For Children 5mg (Pack of 5)
Buy Dulcolax Laxative Suppositories for Children Online
DULCOLAX Suppositories contain a medicine called bisacodyl. This belongs to a group of medicines called laxatives.
- DULCOLAX Suppositories are used for the short-term relief from occasional constipation
- This medicine does not help with weight loss
- DULCOLAX Suppositories are also used in hospitals to clear the bowel before surgery, X-rays or other tests
- DULCOLAX Suppositories stimulate the muscles of the bowel (large intestine). They have a laxative effect usually within 10 to 30 minutes
Like all medicines, DULCOLAX Suppositories can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. The following side effects may happen with this medicine:
Rare side effects (affect less than 1 in 1000 people)
- Severe allergic reactions which may cause swelling of the face or throat and difficulty in breathing or dizziness. If you have a severe allergic reaction, stop taking this medicine and see a doctor straight away.
- Colitis (inflammation of the large intestine which causes abdominal pain and diarrhoea)
- Allergic reactions which may cause a skin rash
Uncommon side effects (affect less than 1 in 100 people)
- Blood in the stools
- Abdominal discomfort
- Discomfort inside and around the back passage
Common side effects (affect less than 1 in 10 people)
- Abdominal cramps or pain
Before taking any medication, it is important to read the Patient Information Leaflet. You can find information leaflets for your medicines by typing them into the search bar at medicines.org, or by contacting us.
If this medicine is from your doctor or pharmacist, do exactly as they have told you. Otherwise, follow the instructions below. If you do not understand the instructions, or if you are not sure, ask your pharmacist or doctor.
As with all laxatives, DULCOLAX Suppositories should not be used every day for more than 5 days. If you need laxatives every day, or if you have abdominal pain which does not go away, you should see your doctor.
How to use the suppositories
The suppositories should only be used in your back passage.
1. Take off the foil wrapping
2. Lie on one side and pull your knees up towards your chest. Keep one leg drawn up more than the other
3. Use your first finger (index finger) or middle finger to push in the suppository
4. Gently push the suppository as far as possible into your back passage, pointed end first
5. Once it is as far as it will go, push it side-ways to make sure it touches the wall of the bowel
6. Lower your legs to a comfortable position whilst the suppository is retained in place
7. Keep the suppository inside you for at least 30 minutes
If you feel the suppository might come out straight away:
You may not have put it in high enough. Push it in as far as possible
Try to keep it in for 30 minutes, even if you feel like you urgently need to go to the toilet. This is how long it takes to work
How much to use
Adults and children over 10 years
Put one 10 mg suppository into the back passage for immediate effect. Only use one suppository per day
Children under 10 years
DULCOLAX 5 mg Suppositories for Children should only be used if recommended by a doctor. The usual dose is:
Put one 5 mg suppository into the back passage for immediate effect. Only use one suppository per day
For full details please read patient information leaflet.
Do not use DULCOLAX Suppositories if:
- You are allergic (hypersensitive) to bisacodyl or hard fat
- You have severe dehydration
- You have a bowel condition called “ileus” (blockage in the intestine)
- You have a serious abdominal condition such as appendicitis
- You have severe abdominal pain with nausea and vomiting
- You have a blocked bowel (intestinal obstruction)
- You have inflammation of the bowel (small or large intestine)
- You have cracking of the skin around your back passage (anal fissures)
- You have inflammation or ulcers around your back passage (ulcerative proctitis)
- Do not use DULCOLAX Suppositories if any of the above applies to you. If you are not sure, talk to your pharmacist or doctor before using this medicine.
DULCOLAX 10 mg Suppositories contain 10 mg of the active ingredient bisacodyl
DULCOLAX 5 mg Suppositories for Children contain 5 mg of the active ingredient bisacodyl
Both the suppositories are made from hard fat, which is an ingredient needed to mould the suppository into the correct shape
Order within for guaranteed next day delivery options