Nytol Tablets 50mg One-A-Night (Pack of 20)
- Short Term Use Only
- Clinically Proven Sleep Aid
- One box provides a 20 day supply
- Contains Diphenhydramine
Nytol is used to relieve temporary sleeping difficulties. the active ingredient is diphenhydramine which is an antihistamine that causes drowsiness. nytol contains 50mg of diphenhydramine.
This medication is used only for assisting with short term sleep problems caused by factors such as:
- jet lag
- personal problems such as bereavement
You should not take nytol for more than two weeks without consulting your GP. If you are struggling to reestablish your normal sleeping patterns, stop taking this medicine and seek advice from a doctor.
Other treatments for temporary sleeping difficulties are available at Rightdose. These include:
- Nytol original
- Nytol herbal tablets
- Sominex tablets
- Sominex herbal tablets
- it is very important to ensure ‘good sleep hygiene’, which is maintaining a regular bedtime routine. (this includes having a comfortable bedroom and removing objects that stimulate activity for example TVs, laptops, phones)
- having a hot shower or bath may also be helpful before bedtime. You could also try adding lavender oils in your bath.
- drink a warm, milky drink before bed.
- avoid caffeine in the evening.
- avoid heavy late night meals.
- if possible, try to keep a sleep diary to pinpoint different factors that are influencing your sleeping pattern.
- regular exercise is important but not before going to sleep.
- relaxation techniques are also helpful in aiding sleeping difficulties.
What is Nytol One a Night?
Nytol One a Night is an antihistamine medicine which helps the patient relax and to fall asleep, it is
shown to increase early drowsiness helping to ease the patient into a restful and deeper sleep.
Is Nytol right for me?
Nytol One a Night is suitable for those who suffer from short term insomnia. You should not take
this medication if any of the warnings in the information leaflet apply to you.
How does Nytol work?
Nytol One-A-night tablets is an antihistamine medicine, this means when a tablet is taken it blocks
the normal actions of histamine which stop making the brain aroused. Each tablet contains 50mg of
diphenhydramine hydrochloride, this helps to reduce alertness and helping you to fall into the first
drowsy stage of sleep allowing the patient to have restful and deeper sleep.
Can I drink alcohol if I take Nytol?
No. If you take Nytol you cannot drink alcohol whilst taking this medication.
Can I drive/operate machinery if I have taken Nytol?
No. You cannot drive or operate machinery if you have taken Nytol as the purpose of the medication
is to cause drowsiness in order to aid sleep.
Can I take Nytol One a Night if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
No. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding it is advised that you speak to your own GP.
Side effects of Nytol One a Night
Like all medicines, Nytol One-A-Night can have side effects, although not everybody gets them.
The most common side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10 people) are; tiredness, drowsiness, reduced attention, unsteadiness, dizziness or a dry mouth.
Not known (frequency cannot be estimated from the available data)
- Allergic reactions (such as rash, shortness of breath and swelling), blurred vision,
palpitations (feeling your heartbeat) or irregular heartbeat.
- Muscle twitching, convulsions, headache or pins and needles.
- Also nausea (feeling sick), vomiting (being sick), thicker bronchial mucus and difficulty
Before taking any medication, it is important to read the Patient Information Leaflet. You can find information leaflets for your medicines by typing them into the search bar at medicines.org, or by contacting us.
Always take this medicine exactly as described in this leaflet or as your doctor or pharmacist has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Take one tablet a night, swallowing whole with water around 30 minutes before bedtime.
The maximum dosage is one tablet per 24 hours, so you should not repeat the dose if it does not work or you wake up. if this happens to you, and you are unable to sleep again, you should speak to your gp about further assistance sleeping.
Avoid taking nytol for more than 14 days, as you can develop a reliance on using this medicine to sleep.
- Not to be used by children under 16 years.
- Not to be used by the elderly with confusion.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose.
- Do not take extra tablets if you wake up in the night.
- Do not take for more than 2 weeks without consulting a doctor.
Do not take Nytol One-A-Night:
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to diphenhydramine hydrochloride or any of the other
- If you have an obstruction in your stomach or gut (for example, because of an ulcer).
Warnings and precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Nytol One-A-Night:
- If you have asthma, bronchitis or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma (a form of raised pressure in the eye)
- If you have an enlarged prostate or urinary retention
- If you have moderate to severe liver or kidney disease
- If you have myasthenia gravis, epilepsy or seizure disorders.
- If your sleeping difficulties persist, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
- Nytol One-A-Night may get less effective if you use it continuously.
Other medicines and Nytol One-A-Night
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking these tablets if you are taking any prescribed medicines; particularly tricyclic antidepressants, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs prescribed for depression) within the last two weeks, atropine (used to dilate pupils of the eyes) or medicines which make you drowsy. Avoid the use of other antihistamines including those used on your skin and in cold and cough medicines, while taking this medicine. Do not drink alcohol while using Nytol One-A-Night.
Do not drive or operate machinery. Nytol One-A-Night is intended to produce sleepiness or drowsiness soon after the dose is taken.
The active substance: each tablet contains diphenhydramine hydrochloride 50 mg.
The other ingredients are: anhydrous lactose, microcrystalline cellulose, maize starch, stearic acid and silicon dioxide.
Order on Monday to Friday until 2:00pm guarantees next day delivery options